The hoodie is a pillar of the casual wardrobe. It has transcended its roots as a sportswear staple and is an essential garment regardless of social class or aesthetic taste. Though the design hasn’t changed much over the years, brands are offering versions of the hoodie in a range of quality fabrics unfound in previous decades.
Still comfortable and durable, these sweatshirts show the depth of materials available in French terry, fleece-back and double-face constructions. Whether you’re a fan of pullover or zip-up styles, quality fabric is what makes the garment. Explore the range of options below and invest in a hoodie worth wearing for years.
French Terry: Sometimes referred to as loopback cotton, this fabric is warp knitted with a flat face and loops on the underside, which serve the same purpose as the loops on a towel: to absorb moisture and sweat. Most commonly offered in 100 percent cotton, French terry can also include added elastane for stretch.
Fleece-Back: To create fleece-back fabrics, the underside of a knitted fabric is brushed with sandpaper or wire brushes until the yarn becomes soft and fleecy. This technique can be applied to a large range of knitted cotton fabrics and is utilized for its velvety hand feel.
Double-Face: This material is made up of two interlocking knitted fabrics. A double-knitted jersey, for example, is made up of two single jerseys knitted together so that both the underside and outside of the fabric are flat. Domestically, the Northwestern Knitting Co. has a proprietary knitted fabric made of two distinct layers, while internationally, brands like Norse Projects utilize this material.
Jersey: Contrary to cotton, jersey is not a fabric but rather a type of knit. This knit offers stretch and shape retention without the employment of additional material or synthetic fibers.
Reverse Weave: This is a technique invented in 1938 that calls for heavy-duty cotton cut on the cross-grain to prevent shrinkage. Rather than stitching the sweatshirt vertically, Champion, the originators, did so horizontally and with side panels to nearly eliminate the possibility altogether.
Kangaroo Pocket: This is the front pocket found on most hoodies. They typically have two points of entry on either side.
The Best Hoodies for Men
- The Best Overall Hoodie: Flint and Tinder 10-Year Pullover
- The Best Upgrade Hoodie: Reigning Champ Relaxed Terry Pullover Hoodie
- The Best Affordable Hoodie: Uniqlo U Long-Sleeve Pullover Hoodie
- Outerknown Sur Snap Hoodie
- Everlane The Track Hoodie
- Richer Poorer Recycled Fleece Hoodie
- Pact Essential Pullover Hoodie
- Alex Mill Thermal Lined Fleece Hoodie
- Champion Reverse Weave Hoodie
- Tracksmith Trackhouse Sweatshirt
- Knickerbocker Hoodie
- Lady White Co. LWC Hoodie
- Buck Mason Brushed Loopback Hooded Sweatshirt
- Birdwell Cayucos Pullover Hoodie
- Save Khaki United Supima Fleece Pullover Hoody
- Everybody.World 100% Recycled Cotton Hoodie
- Los Angeles Apparel 14oz. Heavy Fleece Hooded Pullover
- John Elliott Beach Hoodie
- Russell Athletic Pullover Fleece Hoodie
- Les Tien Heavyweight Hoodie
- Camber USA 232 12oz Pullover Hoodie
Two preeminent sportswear brands square off to see who makes the superior hooded sweatshirt.