Gear Patrol is seeking a talented and experienced full-time Associate Editor to join our growing editorial team.
Associate Editors are seasoned, subject matter experts responsible for pitching, writing and editing class-leading stories for a specific topic across Gear Patrol’s online, social and print properties. To do this successfully requires a strategic mindset, excellent writing skills, a proven track record of planning and producing complex creative assignments, and a robust network of industry contacts. Successful candidates will also be familiar with digital media audience metrics as well as affiliate marketing business models.
We are interested in applicants with previous experience writing and editing coverage on home-related topics such as furniture design, kitchen gadgets, appliance reviews, interior design, smart home technology, architecture or other related topics for an online or print publication.
The ideal candidate will know the major trends in the space, and habitually monitor other outlets, social media feeds and press communication for ideas and news. They must likewise value creative execution and audience engagement equally and obsess as much over analytics as they do on word choice. Finally, they must be highly capable project managers who stay involved with stories from pitch to promotion.
The position will report directly to the Managing Editor while working closely with other stakeholders across our editorial and creative production teams.
- Pitch and produce robust original home-related editorial features, buying guides, reports, interviews, profiles and reviews that engage our readers.
- Grow our home content readership by writing and producing assigned editorial topics as needed, as well as assigning and coordinating coverage production with outside freelancers.
- Lead production coordination efforts in conjunction with our design, social and video teams to capture original photography and videos as part of a multimedia approach to our home coverage.
- Work with the Executive Editor to develop and hone the voice and coverage of the topic.
- Analyze post data and Google Search trends to inform home story ideation and desk strategy in order to reach our traffic and affiliate goals.
- Seek out and develop strategic brand connections and exclusives for Gear Patrol’s Home coverage.
- Work with Senior Editors to schedule and arrange our trade show coverage and meetings.
- Plan and maintain Home content editorial calendars and verify content is in line with editorial guidelines.
- Constantly monitor information resources such as competitive publications, PR contacts and social media for new Home story ideas.
- Lead Home Desk outreach for external expertise, access and product requests.
- Coordinate with Gear Patrol’s social media team to produce and promote relevant editorial content for various social channels.
- Work alongside Gear Patrol’s commerce team to help manage relevant content needs.
- Serve as an ambassador for Gear Patrol editorial team attending press trips, media events and trade shows.
- Support Gear Patrol’s culture-building efforts by participating in intra-company task forces and initiatives.
- A passion for products and service journalism.
- At least 3+ years of experience writing and reporting in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented editorial environment, preferably for a home or design publication.
- A honed editorial voice combined with advanced knowledge of grammar and writing.
- A growing rolodex of PR and brand contacts within the home industry.
- A strong grasp of photography and videography techniques -- especially for capturing social media content.
- The ability to work efficiently under pressure and to take feedback constructively.
- Professional experience using content management systems such as WordPress.
- Professional experience with other content production and creation tools such as Google Apps etc.
- Familiarity with social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Must work efficiently under pressure and take feedback constructively.
- Must apply a solutions-first approach to projects, responsibilities, and challenges.
- BA in English, writing, journalism or equivalent experience
- A strong sense of urgency
- A willingness to travel and work odd hours as the assignment or news cycle dictates.
Benefits & Perks
- Flexibility to work remotely
- This role is eligible for regular, transparently managed performance bonuses
- Healthcare plans are fully paid for by Gear Patrol for the primary individual
- Unlimited personal time off, plus a industry leading amount of company time off including alternating four day work week pilot program and a week-long company holiday in Q4
- 401K program with company match
- Generous paid parental leave
- Charitable gift matching
- Phone plan stipend
How To Apply
Please send your CV/resume, writing samples + a link to your portfolio, LinkedIn profile link, and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject heading: “Associate Editor, Home.”
- A brief introduction of yourself and why you’re passionate about home goods or design.
- Please include tearsheets or links to writing samples you believe are relevant to the position are applicable to Gear Patrol.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your résumé as having been received unless your email bounces back.
About Gear Patrol
Founded in 2007, Gear Patrol is an award-winning print and digital publication, store and content studio based in New York City. We believe that the things we create and own, as well as the habits that surround them, play a crucial role in our global culture. Products, in short, are culture. From the Model T to the iPhone, and anything before or since, products hold the power to revolutionize the way we work, relax, communicate, travel, look, learn and more.
That’s why we’re focused on something we call Product Journalism a.k.a. #ProJo. Our mission is simple. We are a team of creators, users, and enthusiasts, hell-bent on building the definitive resource for discovering products and exploring the stories that surround them. Our goals are not limited to specific platforms or mediums. We know that making essential experiences for product lovers requires leveraging the best that digital, print and social platforms all have to offer.
We hold our core values of teamwork, transparency, integrity, accountability, selflessness, and creativity above all else, and base our culture around them. Our work ethic is defined by vigor, speed, quality, and flexibility. We welcome challenges as an opportunity to reach new heights and never forget that our biggest strength is our people.
Gear Patrol is a place where amazing work happens, and the more you put in here, the more you’ll get out.
Gear Patrol strives to be a diverse and inclusive company. We firmly believe that different voices, experiences and points of view are an essential component of our current and future success. We welcome and encourage people from all walks of life to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s gender, age, race, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetics or any other personal characteristics protected by law.