This Week in Motoring: December 21, 2015

Mahindra saves Pininfarina, Ford uses Gorilla glass on the new GT, Lamborghini CEO may move to Audi Quattro and more.

TWIM-gear-patrol-full-lead

Mahindra saves Pininfarina, Ford uses Gorilla glass on the new GT, Lamborghini CEO may move to Audi Quattro and more.

On the Radar


The Latest in Motoring News


Jaguar Returns to Racing

After pulling out of Formula 1 in 2004, Jaguar is finally making a return to open-wheeled racing. Except Jaguar aren’t making an F1 comeback; they’re entering Formula-e in a bid to develop battery tech for their road-going cars.

Learn More: Here

Indo-Italian Fusion

After months of uncertainty, Indian automotive conglomerate Mahindra finally purchased ailing Italian design house Pininfarina. Mahindra will reportedly pay $28 million for 76 percent of Pininfarina, with plans to purchase the remaining 24 percent.

Learn More: Here

Give Me the Green Light

Bentley all but confirmed the EXP 10 concept will be going to production. Bentley’s board member for sales and marketing Kevin Rose says the super coupe will be smaller than the Continental, but not cheaper. If the EXP 10 gets the green light, it will likely go toe to toe with the Mercedes-AMG GT.

Learn More: Here

Keeping It in the Family

Reports from Italy are surfacing saying Stephan Winkelmann CEO of Lamborghini will be making a move to the parent company’s performance arm, Audi Quattro.

Learn More: Here

SLK is Dead, Long Live SLC

Mercedes continues to make the transition to their new nomenclature as old models get refreshed or updated. What was the SLK is now the SLC, which will make its official debut early next month, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit .

Learn More: Here

The GT Gets Gorilla Glass

Ford is testing out the automotive application of super-strong, lightweight Gorilla Glass with the new Ford GT. More commonly found on smartphones and tablets, Gorilla Glass is thinner, lighter and stronger than regular automotive glass. The Ford GT’s windshield, engine cover and the partition between the cabin and engine bay will all be made from the stuff.

Learn More: Here


Reviews and Buying Guides


Advice from the Crew


Is the New Toyota Tacoma the Perfect Lifestyle Truck?

Toyota’s newest mid-size pickup is being marketed as the millennial’s ride of choice. Really, it’s just a damn good pickup. Read the Guide


The Find


What to Buy, Now


1956 Lotus 11 Series 1 Le Mans

Lotus recently announced that it would be modifying their safety standards and will be bringing the Elise and Exige back to the U.S market in 2016. This Lotus 11 is a shining example of when Lotus had safety lower down on their list of priorities but made some seriously quick cars.

Buy Now: $225,000

Noteworthy Reads


Motoring Stories from Around the Web


Ian Callum, lead designer at Jaguar, came from humble beginnings in Scotland and ended up designing the Aston Martin DB7 as a freelancer, along with Jaguar’s first-ever SUV. He’s an interesting character, and hearing him tell his tale while driving around in an E-Type makes for a good watch.


Looking Ahead


What We’re Driving Now


This content is imported from Instagram. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.


Tip or Submission? Comments or suggestions? Send them to tips@gearpatrol.com. You never know, you might get something in return.

This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
More From Motoring