• More Smartphone Woes: The Essential Phone is off to a rocky start. Delays have plagued the much-hyped smartphone, which was supposed to ship to customers weeks ago. Recently, Essential’s customers were startled to receive a suspicious email, apparently from Essential’s customer care department, asking for photo ID, signature and billing address in order to ship the phone they have already purchased.
• You Missed It: Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• Announcement: Tune in on Facebook Live tomorrow at 12 p.m. EST for our weekly gear video.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Devils Backbone Gold Leaf Lager
Light-to-medium bodied, with complex tasting notes of fresh bread and a crisp, clean finish, Gold Leaf Lager is a refreshingly drinkable lager made from 100 percent malted barley. Its tastiness has earned plenty of prestigious beer awards, including four Great American Beer Festival awards — two of which are golds, no less (plus one silver and one bronze). A perfect toast to the end of summer.
The New York Times Explorer Books
In each book, some of the world’s finest travel journalists detail 25 off-the-beaten path adventures, from mountains and beaches and everything in between.
Keep one stashed in your trunk, right next to your tire iron and roadside emergency kit.
Flos Piani Desk Lamp
An elegant desk lamp that’s bound to win a design award or two.
Under Armour Field Ops Gore-Tex Boot
Part combat boot, part hiking boot. And yet another example of Under Armour’s no-holds-barred quest for the pinnacle of boot technology.
Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf Special Edition
In commemoration of Gulf Racing’s 50th anniversary, TAG Heuer released this gorgeous, limited-edition watch. Oh, and Steve McQueen used to wear one just like it.
Horse Brand Camping Knife
From the Gear Patrol Store: At first glance, the Camping Knife appears to be a simple fixed blade. Dig a little deeper, and you’ll find a handle constructed with reclaimed wood from the historic Coney Island Boardwalk and a razor-sharp high carbon steel blade. At just under seven inches, the Camping Knife may be small, but it will stand up to a range of tasks thanks to its subtle drop-point design and a sturdy full-tang construction.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a Lucky Peach cookbook, Kaufmann Mercantile driving gloves and a Diamondback mountain bike.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• The Can-Am Maverick X3 X DS is a completely insane toy for speed-hungry maniacs. And it’s totally worth its insane price tag.
• Tons of big announcements are coming out of Eurobike right now. Up first: Scott’s new Genius 700, one of the most beautiful mountain bikes we’ve seen in long time.
• The Avigation Big Eye is the latest example of Longines’ mastery of vintage-inspired watches.
• Cargo pants are becoming stylish again. (But not all cargo pants.)
• Looking for some new grilling tools? Go titanium.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
Inside Hurricane Harvey
Follow Gear Patrol on Instagram:
Lots to Like