• An App a Day Keeps the Doctor Away: Want to know if you have pancreatic cancer? There’s now an app for that. Researchers at the University of Washington have developed BiliScreen, a groundbreaking smartphone app that detects jaundiced eyes before it becomes noticeable to humans. Using your smartphone’s camera, BiliScreen scans the whites of your eyes and determines the amount of bilirubin, a major signifier of jaundice and pancreatic cancer. To use the app, though, you need to wear some funky Warhol-esque glasses.
• You Missed It: Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Timberland 1978 Waterproof Hiking Boots
They’ve been gone for 39 years. Now, Timberland’s original waterproof boots are back.
Toadfish Outfitters Put ‘Em Back Oyster Knife
Shuck oysters like a boss. And feel good about it, too: By purchasing Toadfish products, you are directly contributing to oyster habitat restoration projects.
Eric Trine Summer Cooler Collaboration Collection
Natural leather EDC pieces, made by hand by two artisans in Long Beach, California. Sure to look better and better with years of use.
Fisher + Baker Passage Hooded Jacket
An elegantly simple down jacket, back in stock just in time for cooler weather.
Insta360° One iPhone Camera
A powerful 360-degree camera that fits in your pocket. And 360-degree 4K video isn’t its only feature; it also captures bullet-time shots, streams live 360-degree video, shoots 24MP RAW photos and more.
Nike x Loopwheeler Aptare SE and Roshe Two Sneakers
Two fan-favorite Nike shoes — the Aptare SE and the Roshe Two — now in Loopwheeler’s signature heathered indigo fabric. Available online and in select Nike stores on September 1.
Type Hike Hot Springs 24 x 36 Print
From the Gear Patrol Store: Redecorating your office? Throwing out your posters from college? Fill up empty wall space with this screen print from Type Hike, featuring the Hot Springs in Arkansas. One hundred percent of the profits from your purchase will be donated directly to the National Park’s Centennial Campaign and used to give the parks another spectacular century.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on an Arc’teryx travel pack, a Nemo tent and a Ralph Lauren henley.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Is America ready for the Belgian IPA? Hopefully, because it’s goddamn delicious.
• Looking for some new headphones? Here are ten great options under $100.
• There’s a new pepper in town: the Honey Zepper. And it just might give the Shishito a run for its money.
• Summer’s almost over. Toss out your beat-up sneakers and get a fresh pair for less than $60.
• Here’s how to set up a multi-room audio system with the Amazon Echo.
• This Portugese flannel chore coat is a worthy alternative to the tried-and-true Filson Cruiser jacket.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
Your Daily Dose of Humainty
Follow Gear Patrol On Instagram:
Lots to Like