• Samsung Is Putting Out More Fires: Lee Jae-yong, the CEO of Samsung, was sentenced to five years in prison last Friday for bribery and embezzlement. Lee’s crimes involve $6.4 million in bribes and “gifts” given by associates and foundations connected to ex-South Korean President Park Geun-hye, who was impeached in December 2016 for involvement in the massive corruption scandal. Analysts expect the shake-up to have potentially very damaging ramifications for Samsung, which accounts for a fifth of South Korea’s GDP.
• You Missed It: Here’s last week’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Vintage Electric Scambler E-Bike
A one-of-a-kind electric bike, inspired by bikes of the past. And it’s totally customizable.
East Coast Defender “Project Kingsman” 110
Rebuilt from the ground up.
Breitling Chronospace Evo B60 with SuperQuartz
This titanium-encased chronograph features Breitling’s own in-house SuperQuartz movement. Call it a super watch.
iKettle Smart Kettle 3rd Generation
Who really needs a smart kettle? More people than you might think. If you’re a particularly fervent fan of tea or pour-over coffee, and strive for a totally connected smart home, this thing’s for you.
Vargo Titanium Dig Tool
For strapping down to the front of your ultralight thru-hiking pack.
Here Countries Globe
A true conversation piece, and not just for its unusual shape. The pins you drop will recall fond travel memories.
Aer Dopp Kit
From the Gear Patrol Store: Style designed for smarter storage, the AER Dopp Kit is an essential companion for the gym-bound professional. It has an exterior toothbrush pocket so you never have to worry about deodorant in your gums, a water resistant lining and mesh and elastic internal organizers.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on an Eddie Bauer flannel, a Panasonic beard trimmer and a Timbuk2 Dopp kit.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• If you’re passionate about great design, you’ll love the new Land Rover Velar.
• Three colorful vintage chronographs, all under $1,000.
• Here’s an exciting rumor: the Chevy Blazer might return before the new Ford Bronco.
• Levi’s just made their classic 501 jeans more skateboarder-friendly. That’s good news for regular dudes, too.
• Outerknown’s fanatstic new fall collection is inspired by South America.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
The Deepest Fish Ever Recorded
Follow Gear Patrol On Instagram:
Lots to Like