About This Role
Gear Patrol is seeking a talented and ambitious full-time Associate Staff Writer to join our growing editorial team. The position is based in New York, NY, but will remain remote for the remainder of 2021 due to COVID-19.
Associate Staff Writers play an integral part in shaping Gear Patrol’s editorial coverage and Product Journalism mission to life. We are seeking a writer who is knowledgeable and highly engaged in the world of men’s style to cover new releases, explainers, buying guides, interviews, in-depth reports and more. The ideal candidate should live and breathe products and be passionate about producing world-class stories. They should also have big ideas about what's next in men’s style.
Finally, candidates should be comfortable in a fast-paced, digital news environment; and work collaboratively with our Branded Content studio team when needed. Like all Gear Patrol team members, applicants for this position should be self-starters, maintain a nimble and positive mindset and lead by example.
The candidate will report directly to the Style Editor while working closely with other stakeholders including the Deputy Editor, Platforms Editor and Commerce Editor.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, writing samples + a link to your portfolio, LinkedIn profile link, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: "Associate Staff Style Writer." In your email, please also include:
- A brief introduction of yourself, why you’re passionate about men’s style and why you believe you're a fit for our team.
- A 150-word writing sample describing one of your favorite products.
- Tearsheets or links to style-related writing samples in the 500-1000 word review range.
- Links to any previous work applicable to Gear Patrol.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your resume as having been received unless your email bounces back.
- Write and produce regularly assigned style content across Gear Patrol’s properties including our website and print magazine.
- Pitch and produce original style content that helps position Gear Patrol as a leading voice in product journalism.
- Help produce original photography and videos as part of a multimedia approach to our style coverage.
- Peer edit style desk stories produced by other team members.
- Leverage content analytics and other data sources to help guide editorial strategy and achieve goals.
- Help maintain desk editorial calendars and ensure content is in line with our editorial guidelines.
- Continually monitor information resources such as competitive publications, PR contacts and social media for new story ideas.
- Lead outreach for various editorial efforts including outside expertise and product requests.
- Attend desk-relevant PR and media events.
- Collaborate with Gear Patrol’s social media team to produce and promote relevant editorial style content for various social platforms.
- Work alongside Gear Patrol’s commerce team to help manage and produce relevant affiliate content.
- A passion for products and service journalism.
- A strong knowledge of grammar and writing fundamentals.
- At least 2+ years of experience writing and reporting in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented editorial environment, ideally for a men’s fashion or lifestyle publication.
- Must possess a keen interest and understanding of the men’s fashion industry.
- Familiarity with online content management systems.
- Familiarity with other content production and creation tools such as Google Apps.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized and detail-oriented.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive base salary
- Healthcare plans are fully paid for by Gear Patrol for the primary individual
- Generous PTO package
- Generous paid parental leave
- Charitable gift matching
- Scheduled company week-long vacation in December
About Gear Patrol
Founded in 2007, Gear Patrol is an award-winning print and digital publication, store and content studio based in New York City. We believe that the things we create and own, as well as the habits that surround them, play a crucial role in our global culture. Products, in short, are culture. From the Model T to the iPhone, and anything before or since, products hold the power to revolutionize the way we work, relax, communicate, travel, look, learn and more.
That’s why we’re focused on something we call Product Journalism a.k.a. #ProJo. Our mission is simple. We are a team of creators, users, and enthusiasts, hell-bent on building the definitive resource for discovering products and exploring the stories that surround them. Our goals are not limited to specific platforms or mediums. We know that making essential experiences for product lovers requires leveraging the best that digital, print and social platforms all have to offer.
We hold our core values of teamwork, transparency, integrity, accountability, selflessness, and creativity above all else, and base our culture around them. Our work ethic is defined by vigor, speed, quality, and flexibility. We welcome challenges as an opportunity to reach new heights and never forget that our biggest strength is our people.
Gear Patrol is a place where amazing work happens, and the more you put in here, the more you’ll get out.
Gear Patrol strives to be a diverse and inclusive company. We firmly believe that different voices, experiences and points of view are an essential component of our current and future success. We welcome and encourage people from all walks of life to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s gender, age, race, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetics or any other personal characteristics protected by law.