The Gear Patrol Podcast is our weekly roundtable discussion focused on products, their stories, and the culture surrounding them.
This week we're discussing the future of smart home tech, and a tech standard called Matter that will allegedly unite all our disparate smart home devices under one virtual roof. Then, luxury textile and clothing maker Loro Piana and many other similar brands are leaning into a new trend: tracking the production of wool goods all the way back to the sheep whose haircut provided the raw materials. Lastly, John Mayer and Casio teamed up on another G-Shock watch collaboration. It's already sold out, but we'll talk about our thoughts on the design, and thoughts on collabs like this. And we finish up with a quick lightning round of our favorite new gear from the past week.
04:50 – Matter and the promise of a unified Smart Home
22:10 – Loro Piana customers can track its wool origins
34:49 – John Mayer x Hodinkee x Casio G-Shock = a very desirable, approachable collab
Featured and Related:
- Gear Patrol's Best Gifts 2021 — Ideas for Christmas, Birthdays & More
- Apple, Google, and Amazon have teamed up to fix the smart home with a new standard called Matter – The Verge
- Here's how Amazon, Google, Apple, and Samsung plan to work with Matter (with podcast) – The Verge
- Situation: there are too many competing smart home standards – The Verge
- Matter homepage
- Apple, Google, and Amazon are teaming up to develop an open-source smart home standard (2019) – The Verge
- Do You Know Where Your Sweater Came From? – The New York Times
- Traceable Cashmere: Discover Which Mongolian Goat Your Sweater Came From – Forbes
- Nature Elevated – Sheep Inc ("naturally carbon negative knitwear") – Sheep Inc
- Blockchain-Powered App Helps Mongolian Herders Trace Cashmere – Cointelegraph
- John Mayer and G-Shock are Back at it with the Latest Hodinkee Limited Edition – Worn & Wound
- Introducing: The Casio G-SHOCK Ref. 6900-PT80 By John Mayer – HODINKEE
- John Mayer Is Back With Another G-Shock Collab – GQ
- G-SHOCK Limited Edition DW6900JM21-7 Men's Watch (sold out)
Listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, our website, or wherever else you get your podcasts. Reach out at email@example.com.