Good morning. So… what’re you up to next year? Any trips planned? If your schedule so far is somewhat light, you may want to hit up everyone’s favorite nutjob visionary: Elon Musk’s SpaceX has announced it will send two people around the Moon in 2018. (Actually, the two non-astronaut astronauts are already chosen — by dint of their having paid a massive deposit to make the 300K–400K mile trip.)
• Here’s a reminder of yesterday’s gear news.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
Today’s GearWhat’s New, Now
Helm Boots Lane Boot
In 2012, after three years of manufacturing in Istanbul, Helm Boots returned to the U.S., bringing with them a hard-earned mastery of fine leather boot making. Handcrafted in Maine and Arkansas, their leather boots are the embodiment of Americana style: rugged, utilitarian, refined. The Lane Boot is a military-inspired silhouette, with traditional details like Horween premium leather upper and an oil-treated sole; subtle modern features, like a suede heel and white midsole, give the boot city sensibility.
1995 Ferrari F50 Once Owned by Mike Tyson
Leave it to Iron Mike to snatch up Ferrari’s top performer towards the end of the millennium. A Formula 1–derived engine; swoopy, hellish looks; a prancing horse badge… no wonder it made our Best Supercars of the ’90s.
Seiko Is Making an Apple Watch
The one catch: you can only buy it in Japan.
Wild Sam Field Guides
A perfect, pocket-sized travel guide with 145 pages of stories from locals, in-depth travel intel and bits of lore sprinkled in for entertainment. It’s Rick Steves for millennials, and an invaluable travel partner.
Adidas Originals Iniki Runner
Drawing heavy inspiration from 1970s runners, the Iniki blends vintage looks with modern tech. Two-way stretch mesh and suede panels, a shiny mesh tongue and an Otholite sockliner — not to mention the brand’s Boost cushioning. Red and Navy colorways launch tomorrow, March 1, so prepare yourself.
Sea to Table Home Shipping
The next best thing to catching it yourself.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a travel mug, a button down shirt and a 34-inch monitor.
Read Now: Here
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• This New Lexus Coupe Pisses Off Honda Drivers, Is a Unicorn
• iPhone 8: Here’s Everything You Need to Know
• Watches We’re Obsessing Over Now
• iMessage Is Amazing. Are There Worthy Android Alternatives?
• Seiko Is Making an Apple Watch (Just Not the Kind You’re Thinking)
• The Classic Nokia 3310 Is Back. (So Is Snake.)
• Vintage Car Overload
• Three Ways to Roll Up Your Sleeves
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points and One Thing to Watch
Happy Hour Briefing
Ice Breakers for the First Drink
• A Whole Lot of Magma Is Lurking Under Taipei [WIRED]
• This Is What Caused Uber’s Broken Company Culture [Fast Company]
• Apple Backtracks on Third-Party iPhone Screen Repairs Stance [Slash Gear]
• World’s First Metallic Hydrogen Sample Disappears [Deccan Chronicle]
• Nokia 6 Hands On: A Metal Phone With Android? [Ars Technica]
• And one thing to watch: