Good morning. In rural India, scientists have finally created a viable replacement for the condom. But it’s having difficulty gaining traction with Big Pharma investors. The new male contraceptive, which is injected via syringe into the bloodstream, is apparently safe, effective and inexpensive. (And probably a hell of a lot more, well, fun than using condoms.)
• Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
What’s New, Now
Indian Chieftain Limited
The strongest leaders are those who muscle their way to the front of the pack — exactly where the Chieftain Limited belongs. It’s a style and engineering leader: the sawed-off open-front fender, which exposes a 19-inch 10-spoke wheel; the gloss black fairing inspired by locomotives of the ’50s; the beastly 111 horsepower engine, built on principles of Indian engines from the ’40s. This is Indian’s modern take on the legendary road warrior.
CargoWorks Recon 15 Backpack
A technical backpack with tactical assault style. Outside, eight subtly-integrated pockets for quick-access gear; inside, 10 thoughtfully-placed pockets, including one for a 15-inch laptop and tablet. Additionally, there’s a top-access dump pocket for small EDC items, like a phone or wallet, and a military-inspired velcro admin panel for add-on pouches or patches.
Fronteer Ahwahnee Hiker
Bold like the ’80s and street-smart like the 2000s, the Ahwahnee Hiker is made of fire-red suede, a Vibram sole and a perforated microfiber sock liner — all the makings of a proper hiker-inspired fashion boot. Limited run of 250.
North Drinkware Obsidian Line
For those who find solace and joy in mountains, a collection of artisan drinkware to reflect that passion. On the bottom of each glass (two pints and two tumblers) is a glass replica of either Mt. Hood in Oregon or Mt. Rainier in Washington; each is hand-blown with smoked glass in Portland, Oregon.
Tanner Goods Cordovan Utility Billfold
You use your wallet a lot — you’re the one who reaches for it first during happy hour, and it should be both reliable and ready to age well. Shell cordovan leather is soft but sturdy and will patina beautifully. That’s why leather pros Tanner Goods used the material in its natural hue for their newest bifold: because style and diligent organization of financial tools go hand in hand. – Nick Caruso, Associate Editor
Canyon Inflite Bike
The first images of the Red Dot Award–winning cyclocross bike were leaked yesterday.
Leatherology Personalized iPhone Cases
You touch and look at your iPhone more than any other product or loved one in your life, so give it a distinctive and stylish case with a bunch of color options and free monogramming.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag, Nintendo controllers and Saturdays NYC.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Suunto’s newest sport watch, the Sport Wrist HR, is the company’s most advanced and most accurate yet. It’s also one of its cheapest.
• We go behind the scenes at Symbol Audio, maker of some of the finest audio products in the world. (e.g.: One of Symbol’s record players costs $20,000).
• Looking for a time-honored pair of summer-ready retro boardshorts? Consider Birdwell, a 55-year-old surf brand.
• Do not underestimate the importance of an inspired, well-curated nightstand.
• We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: you, the modern man, need to take moisturizers seriously. Start here with these essentials.
• This summer, go bohemian.
Note: Stories published on Gear Patrol may contain links to buy products sold in our curated store as well as by third party retail destinations. Items purchased through the GP store help directly support editorial initiatives. In some cases, we may also receive a small commission for the online customers we refer to external retailers. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points and One Thing to Watch
Happy Hour Briefing
Ice Breakers for the First Drink
• Inside one of the most ludicrously luxurious health clubs in the world, exclusive to the London elite class. [RealClear Life]
• The Paleo Diet is so hot right now. Does it live up to the hype? [Men’s Journal]
• In Beijing, a million people live in dystopian underground nuclear bunkers. [Wired]
• One trick for social success: have a backlog of stories to tell. [Forbes]
• One of the many glories of summertime: bonfires. Get the right firepit. [Men’s Journal]
• And one thing to watch: