Good morning. Yesterday, scientists in Tibet teleported a single photon from Earth to a satellite in space. It is the farthest distance an object has ever been teleported. How’d they do it? Quantum entanglement, whatever the hell that means. Just imagine the “Beam me up, Scotty” teleporter thingy from Star Trek.
• Here’s yesterday’s gear news in case you missed out.
• Tune in on Facebook Live tomorrow at 5 p.m. EST — we’ll be hanging with Chris Burkard, a prolific adventure photographer, at his new art gallery in Manhattan. We’ll also be live tomorrow at 12 p.m. EST for our weekly in-office gear video.
• To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Under Armour Threadborne Fortis 3
Nike’s Flyknit was the first embroidered upper technology. It’s been copied a gazillion times by nearly every major competitor. Under Armour’s Threadborne is perhaps the only embroidered upper that’s given Flyknit a run for its money. The new Threadborne Fortis 3 running shoes are proof of that.
Hirsch Small Batch 8-Year-Old High Rye Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Distilled in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, with spicy rye sourced from Northern Europe and sweet-tasting corn from Indiana and Ohio. It’s also exceptionally sippable, given its 120-proof rating, which is among the lowest in the world of bourbon.
Artifox Standing Desk 02
It’s obvious that this desk is gorgeous. Let’s skip over that part. The Standing Desk 02’s best feature is less immediately noticeable: its built-in dock and cable grid, which make all cords and plugs practically invisible.
Killspencer Card Carrier 3.0
Who wants to carry around a bulky wallet in their pants these days? With Killspencer’s Card Carrier, you can slip your plastic into your iPhone case. It keeps your cash safer and closer to you and it prevents unattractive pant-pocket bulge. You might never want to buy a wallet again. – Grant Tillery, Editorial Intern
Blocks Modular Smartwatch
Haven’t yet found the ideal smartwatch? Assemble your own. Each Blocks smartwatch is made of four modules. Choose from six: extra battery, heart rate monitor, GPS, 3-in-1 climate monitor, flashlight and a programmable button. Four modules come standard; extra modules cost just $35 each.
Baxter of California Clay Effect Style Spray
Hair that looks effortless takes a lot of effort to maintain. Baxter’s Clay Effect Style Spray makes attaining that lived-in, bed-headed look much easier, thanks to a lightweight, strong holding formula. Just a few spritzes and some tussling — effortless, indeed. – Grant Tillery, Editorial Intern
BE Outfitters Cabrillo Dry Bag
From the Gear Patrol Store: Camera case, meet dry bag. The Cabrillo dry bag, as in Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, is meant for exploring in places where the presence of water is absolute but the need for a camera is mandatory. In addition to being 100 percent waterproof, with a molded foam insert, your camera and accessories will be protected from any element, bang, drop or tumble they might find.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a Sea to Summit duffle bag, Gotham Steel frying pan and Braun electric toothbrush.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• We sit down with John John Florence, one of the world’s greatest living surfers, to discuss cameras, surfing, Oahu and more.
• Wear these backpacks in the city. Hell, wear ’em in the mountains, too. They’ll look and perform great everywhere.
• See if you’re bold enough for these caiman crocodile boots. We dare you.
• While you’re at it, see if you’re bold enough for the new Aston Martin Valkryie. (You’re probably not.)
• Two guys left their cushy jobs at GORUCK and Patagonia to make these all-new, all-American backpacks. They live up to the hype.
• Focal’s new speakers make Dolby Atmos actually affordable.
Note: Stories published on Gear Patrol may contain links to buy products sold in our curated store as well as by third party retail destinations. Items purchased through the GP store help directly support editorial initiatives. In some cases, we may also receive a small commission for the online customers we refer to external retailers. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
The Defiant Ones
Follow Gear Patrol On Instagram:
Lots to Like