If I were relegated to using one club for an entire round then it would have to be my 5-iron. I can chop-hack-dice-slice-pull-push-hook-shank-beat-pitch-drive with that sonofabitch like no other. It’s just unfortunate that I don’t hit it the appropriate distance, either smashing the ball 3 wood distances or only managing 40 yards out of a dribble roll. It’s bloody fantastic.
Currently, I have a set of TayorMade rac OS2 Irons in my bag and have used them for one season. For the price, they’re brilliant and absolutely outpace any stick residing in my bag before.
It goes without saying that I’m chomping at the bit to get behind a set of Titleist AP1 or AP2 Forged Irons. These new clubs from Titleist are teeming with mad golf scientist research and development.
On the AP1 you’ll find high-tech multi-material construction around a steel body, tungsten nickel sole, eslatomer bar and aluminum cavity plate resulting in what we envision to be unparalleled feel. The AP1 has a dual cavity design pushing the weight to the outer perimeter of the club for maximum forgiveness (something I certainly need) and a central cross member uses an elastomer cushion to give structural regidity behind the impact area while dampening the face vibration. The low center of gavity along with low frequency vibration dampening also lends to the absence of aftershock on your hand.
Titleist AP1 Irons won’t disappoint for those of you who care for club sex appeal. They strike a nice balance of contemporary design with traditional profiles unlike some of the new space-age irons you’re seeing out there. The restrained aesthetics are a signature look of Titleist and for this semi-traditionalist that’s just right. More angles of the club can be seen here
More information on the AP2 and additional images after the jump.
Features on AP1 Irons:
- Advanced performance, multi-material, dual cavity, technical cast irons.
- Provide look, feel, shot control and higher flight with forgiveness.
- Targeted at the skilled golfer (handicap 5-9) with enough performance to easily reach the aspiring serious golfer (10-15).
Features on AP2 Forged Irons:
- Titleist AP2 irons are advanced performance, multi-material, dual cavity, technical forged irons providing traditional solid feel, looks and shot control for the skilled player.
- AP2’s high technology multi-material construction features a forged 1025 carbon steel body, tungsten nickel box, elastomer cushion and aluminum cavity plate to deliver outstanding performance and feel.
- The high density tungsten nickel box is laser welded to the back and sole. This locates the center of gravity in the center, low, and deep to improve launch conditions. The box structure and tungsten nickel material tune low frequency vibration for unmatched solid feel.
- The dual cavity design of AP2 pushes weight to the perimeter. The central cross member with soft elastomer cushion provides rigidity behind the face for solid feel while reducing face vibration.
- Titleist AP2 irons offer a contemporary, confidence inspiring appearance in the playing position with a traditional profile and blade hosel junction. The metallic cavity plate tunes sound and feel and provides attractive cosmetics for great bag appeal.