Many men maintain a beard or short stubble, if only to forever avoid an actual shave (myself included). But who can blame us? There are lots of risks that come with a razor, like irritation, bumps, nicks, and ingrowns. For this reason, it feels safer and smarter to use a reliable beard trimmer and maintain some semblance of stubble. But even that gets old. What if we want to showcase our shaved faces, minus all those risks of razors? Or, what about trimming parts of the beard, but shaving the rest —like keeping a clean neck line, or maintaining just a mustache? That’s where the electric shaver comes in.
Now, not all electric shavers are going to give you an ultra smooth, bump-free finish. But the best ones will. They have thin foil heads or rotary caps that protect your skin from their sharp blades, and the best electric shavers of late utilize things like smart design, portability, battery charge time and retention, waterproofing, wet/dry duality, LED display, warranty, trimming extensions. These are the factors we considered in naming our favorite electric shavers of the year, in addition to the precision and power with which they actually perform. So, if you’re looking for a new electric shaver, or are converting from bare razors and beard trimmers, then here are your best bets. They may not all suit you, but that’s because we all have specific needs when it comes to a device.
The Best Electric Shavers for Men
Pick the one that accommodates your needs (frequent traveler, hygienic obsessive, shower shaver, etc), and you’ll be set.
- Best Basic Foil Shaver: Andis 17220 Pro Foil Lithium Plus Foil Shaver
- Best Self-Cleaning Shaver: Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor
- Best Electric Shaver for Travel: Braun MobileShave M-90 Travel Shaver
- Best Electric Body Shaver: Philips Norelco Bodygroom Series 7000
- Best Electric Shower Shaver: Wahl Lifeproof Lithium Ion Foil Shaver
- Best Rotary Shaver: Remington Hyperflex Advanced Rotary Shaver