Google just announced the Pixel 3 ($799+) and Pixel 3 XL ($899+) and, even though both next-gen smartphones look to be serious upgrades over the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL – bigger screen, smaller feel, glass back, wireless charging, water-resistant – the most exciting thing about them is their new cameras. Going into the launch event, there was a strong argument that the year-old Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were still the best smartphone cameras you could buy. Well, as expected, the new Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL look to be the kings of the smartphone camera world. Not only are the cameras actually better, but they come loaded with new software (which Google does back) that enable the cameras to do a number of cool things.
• Top Shot allows the Pixel 3’s camera to capture a burst of frames right before and after you click the shutter button, that way you never miss a shot.
• Night Sight lets the camera take several long exposure photos, then combines them together so you get one excellent low-light photo.
• For selfies, Photobooth uses the camera’s AI to determine if you’re smiling and then it will automatically take a photo (no need to hit the shutter button).
• There’s Group Selfies which takes advantage of the Pixel 3’s new front dual-camera system and gives your selfies a 184 percent wider field of view.
• Super Res Zoom lets you zoom in on a subject and, factoring camera shake, still take really sharp photos.
• There’s now Motion Auto Focus which, again, uses the camera’s AI to figure out your subject while your shooting videos and then it keeps it in focus (this is further helped the camera’s new front-facing video stabilization).
But those are just a few of the cool new camera features on the Pixel 3.
The bottom line is that the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL looks unbelievable (we’ll have a full review next week once we get more playtime with the phones). Along with the Google smartphone release, the renown smartphone camera accessory maker Moment also released the first photography accessories – three new cases, lenses and the Moment Pro Android app – for Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. If you’re unfamiliar with Moment, they make an entire camera system – you need to buy a smartphone case in order for the lenses to fit. But you should also know that these camera accessories are legit. Moment is a member of the Made for Google program, meaning that they’ve gotten Google’s badge of approval (so to speak) and their stuff actually enhances the Pixel’s already superior camera. If you take smartphone photography seriously, the below is what you want.
Also, if you buy any of this gear through the Moment app and order by Friday, October 12, you get 20-percent off.
It’s worth mentioning that the Pixel 3 and Pixel VL aren’t out yet, but are available for pre-order. They’ll be available in stores everywhere in the US on Thursday, October 18.
Tele Portrait Lens by Moment $90
In order to take a good portrait photo with a smartphone you normally need to be a few feet away. Not with this. Its a 60mm focal length lens so you can get up close and personal without having to rely on digital zoom.
Wide Lens by Moment $100
According to Moment it’s “the most advanced lens we’ve ever made” and lets you capture 2x as much in a single photo.
Superfish Lens by Moment $90
This 15mm equivalent lens is ideal for photographers who want to make epic landscapes look even bigger.
Photo Case by Moment $30
This bespoke phone case is available for Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL. And it’s available in three different colorways: wood, black and tan.
The best way to catch up on the day’s most important product releases and stories. Read the Story