Good morning. NASA is getting $19.5 billion in allowance money to fund its mission to Mars. The revised budget, which was signed into action earlier this week by President Trump, is the largest budget increase NASA has received in seven years. If all goes to plan, humans will set foot on Mars in the 2030s.
• Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
What’s New, Now
OluKai Nohea Moku Sneaker
That its name translates to “handsome” makes perfect sense: the Nohea Moku is an extremely functional sneaker, yet doesn’t look like a neon nightmare as one might expect from such a technical tour de force. It’s built for the adventure lifestyle, which means it’s light and breathable, thanks to extensive mesh materials. An elastic lace system keeps things in place, while razor siping on the sole and medial drainage ports manage water without flinching. The jersey knit liner and gel footbed are made for comfort, and the collapsible heel cup converts easily for slip-on wear.
Johnnie Walker Blender’s Batch
Johnnie Walker’s latest release isn’t made for sipping neat, but for mixing into cocktails. The distillery’s Red Rye Finish, the inaugural release from its Blender’s Batch collection, is an American-inspired scotch — light and smooth with spicy notes that make for a mean Manhattan. – Emily Singer, Associate Staff Writer
Stio CFS Backpack
Stio’s new CFS collection includes one roll-top backpack and two duffels, each of which is designed specifically for the wettest, roughest conditions. The 35-liter backpack is fully weatherproof, and several secondary zippered pockets provide protection for smaller stuff. Excellent for both crusty river guides and urban commuters.
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus PRODUCT(RED) Special Edition
Ten years ago, the original iPod Nano became the first Apple product to get the (RED) treatment. Since then, all kinds of Apple products have been painted red to help fund the fight against HIV/AIDS; now, the iPhone 7 is stepping up to the cause. Available in stores and online tomorrow.
Rolex’s New Sea-Dweller Is Glorious Overkill
A Rolex that’s water-resistant to an astounding 4,000 feet, or nearly four times as deep as the current scuba-diving world record.
The Simpsons x State Bicycle Co.
A Simpsons bicycle? Sounds gimmicky, right? Not when it’s a State bicycle. This is a company known for making some of the finest steel bikes in the world. And anyway, no Simpsons branding is gimmicky when it’s this clever — take a closer look at the frame. The top tube is an abstract depiction of Bart, the down tube is Marge, the seat stay is Lisa and the seat tube is Homer. Even if you’re not a Simpsons fan, that level of creativity is hard not to appreciate.
This Rare Vintage Porsche Is Ridiculously Affordable for Incredibly Stupid Reasons
It’s considered slightly “less perfect” by some, which makes this 911 RS America that much more affordable.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on La Colombe coffee, retro surf trunks and New Balance sneakers.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Now’s your chance to buy the hoverboard from Back to the Future.
• Before going all out on a new wardrobe, master the basics.
• Prepare for warm weather with some fresh, inexpensive sneakers.
• One of our favorite NOMOS watches just became a lot more affordable.
• Stop printing your photos at Walmart. Follow these tips instead.
• For this award-winning restaurant in Nashville, top-shelf imported knives are essential.
Note: Stories published on Gear Patrol may contain links to buy products sold in our curated store as well as by third party retail destinations. Items purchased through the GP store help directly support editorial initiatives. In some cases, we may also receive a small commission for the online customers we refer to external retailers. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points and One Thing to Watch
Happy Hour Briefing
Ice Breakers for the First Drink
• Millennials are tearing up the old notions and practices of industrial farming. And that’s a good thing. [Fortune]
• Will Roger Federer soon retire? Nope — he’s just getting started. [GQ]
• Dave Chapelle’s fantastic new comedy special is now on Netflix. Here’s some other great Netflix comedy specials. [The Ringer]
• Burger King has vowed to stop using abused chickens. [CNN Money]
• A private jet got swept up in the wake of a jumbo jet, and began free-falling to Earth like a dead leaf. [NBC News]
• And one thing to watch: