• Eat Dirt, Autoplay: Starting next January, Google’s Chrome browser will scrub the internet clean of all of those pesky autoplay videos on websites. Naturally, advertisers are pissed. But while an autoplay-free internet sounds great for ordinary Chrome users, there may actually be some darker forces at play.
• You Missed It: Here’s last week’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Helly Hansen HH Pile Fleece
Over the course of its 140-year-long life, Helly Hansen has come to be known as a maker of some of the world’s finest high-performance sportswear and workwear. This year, in celebration of its 140-year anniversary, the company is bringing back one of its most classic garments: the HH Pile Fleece. It is virtually identical to the 1961 original, but with softer, lighter fleece. And the HH Pile Fleece isn’t Helly Hansen’s only commemoration of its roots — the 140 Heritage Collection contains rain jackets, baselayers, hats and more.
Danner 917 Series Boots
Danner earned its stripes in forests and mountains and deserts. Lately, however, the Oregon-based company has been venturing deeper and deeper into urban jungles, building boots that are better suited snowy sidewalks than for dirt trails. That is the essence of the 917 Series.
Schoolhouse Electric Allegheny Indoor/Outdoor LED Sconce
The ’70s called. It’s super jealous of your butterscotch-colored wall lamp. Where’d you get it?
Jaybird RUN True Wireless Sport Headphones
Jaybird’s first foray into true wireless technology — no wires of any sort, just individual Bluetooth-enabled earbuds.
L.L.Bean Flannel-Lined Sweatshirt
The only words in the English language more autumnal than “Flannel-Lined Sweatshirt” are “pumpkin-spiced apple cider on Football Sunday.”
Satechi Universal Vertical Aluminum Laptop Stand
An elegant aluminum stand that’ll hold laptops of nearly every shape and size. (Apple fans, in particular, will love the Space Gray color.)
Gear Patrol Field Guide: American Craft Beer
From the Gear Patrol Store: Introducing your favorite new printed thing. What ever happened to the humble field guide — that thumb-able, spiral-bound companion we kept nearby as a quick go-to resource for our latest obsession? Ah yes, Google. We’re not here to refute the speed of a search engine, but damn if we don’t love a great thing to hold and reference. That said, we’re pleased to introduce you to our latest creation, Gear Patrol Field Guides.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on Hydro Flask tumblers, Tumi luggage and a Frank and Oak shirt.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• Gear up for fall hikes with the best hiking boots of 2017.
• Backcountry’s sale aisle is hard to navigate. So we picked five of the best on-sale outdoor products to shop now.
• We also found some pretty killer overland rigs for your next camping excursion.
• Burberry’s cashmere scarfs are highly sought after. And right now, you can get one for $150 off.
• Snow Peak’s new Campfield Futon will elevate any ordinary campsite into a full-on glamping set-up.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
A Tribute to Cassini
Follow Gear Patrol on Instagram:
Lots to Like