• The Trash Isles: A group of activists is petitioning the United Nations to declare the Great Pacific Garbage Patch — a France-sized pile of floating trash drifting around the northern Pacific Ocean — as a sovereign country with its own passport, flag and currency. So far, the petition has over 100,000; the activists are hoping to get a billion.
• You Missed It: Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• Announcement: Tune in on Facebook Live tomorrow at 12 p.m. EST for our weekly in-office gear video.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Bell & Ross Vintage Bellytanker
For its two latest timepieces, watchmaker Bell & Ross has paid homage to both racing and aviation history. The new Vintage Bellytanker watches are named after and inspired by the vintage drag racers of the ’40s and ’50s that used aerodynamic, surplus fuel tanks from WWII fighter planes. Like it did when introducing its AeroGT watches, Bell & Ross designed its own racing concept that, in turn, inspired its watch design: The BR V1-92 and BR V1-94 Bellytanker both feature copper-toned dials with black and stainless steel accents that mirror the colors on the Bellytanker vehicle design concept. The BR V1-92 features an automatic three-hand movement in a vintage-sized 38.5mm case, while the BR V1-94 gets a chronograph movement and a larger 41mm case adorned with a tachymeter bezel.
Warby Parker Logan Frames
Warby Parker’s latest frame features a rounded acetate shape, bolstered with a stainless steel half-rim.
Opinel Mushroom Foraging Pocket Knife
Even if mushroom foraging isn’t your thing, it’s still a very pretty knife that’s sure to spark some conversation. The handle is beechwood, the blade is stainless steel, the brush is genuine boar’s hair. And it’s made entirely in France.
urBeats3 Earphones with Lightning Connector in Matte Gold or Silver
While the whole world’s gaze was fixed on the big iPhone X reveal, Beats by Dre quietly snuck these onto Apple’s shelves. The timing is likely not coincidental — the headphones’ colors are identical to the new iPhones’.
F*ck, That’s Delicious: An Annotated Guide to Eating Well
Even if you don’t like his music, it’s hard not to admire Action Bronson’s perpetually stoned brilliance and gangsta charisma. He’s also a phenomenal cook. This tome is a simmered reduction of Bronson’s enigma and his extensive memory bank of delicious recipes, seasoned with autobiographical flakes.
One of our favorite running frames, now in an all-new colorway available exclusively at Outdoor Voices.
Candylab Orange Racer
From the Gear Patrol Store: In a bright orange, race-striped livery, it riffs on the pure soul of a classic sports car, if there ever was one. It doesn’t get much more “American Muscle” than that. Packaging may look different from what is pictured.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a Woolrich blanket, an iPhone case and SeaVees slip-ons.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• These on-the-go energy snacks are delicious. And none of them come in boring cereal bar form.
• Velocio is having a big end-of-summer sale on cycling gear. Jump on it.
• Red Wing just released a new boot that’s dressed-up enough to wear to the office.
• Don’t know how to adjust the tracking force on your turntable? Here’s now.
• Our hands-on review of the Vintage Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider, a masterpiece of 20th-century car design.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
If Apple Was Honest…
Follow Gear Patrol on Instagram:
Lots to Like