• Big News from Apple: Yesterday, Apple finally unveiled a host of new, hotly anticipated devices: a redesigned Apple Watch, a 4K HDR Apple TV, and three new iPhones — two of which possibly outshine the iPhone X, Apple’s most consequential iPhone redesign since the original iPhone, released ten years ago.
• You Missed It: Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• More Gear: To get this briefing, other Gear Patrol stories and exclusive offers directly to your inbox, subscribe to Gear Patrol’s daily or weekly newsletter.
What’s New, Now
Vasque Coldspark UltraDry Insulated Hiking Boots
After a few hours of trekking in hot weather, hiking boots and socks feel suffocating. You can hardly wait to peel them off. In the cooler months, though — that’s now, by the way — ordinary hiking boots chill your feet into more blue territory, so you need boots with proper insulation, like Vasque’s Coldspark UltraDry™. It has 200 grams of 3M Thinsulate insulation supplemented by UltraDry™, Vasque’s own special waterproofing technology. The lug’s dual-density PU compound is built for cold weather, providing sticky traction on both rock and snow.
Apple iPhone 8 Cases
You’ve likely heard by now: yesterday, Apple unveiled three new iPhones, including the much-hyped iPhone X. These cases and accessories are surely just the beginning splashes of an imminent tsunami of third-party accessories.
Olivers Apparel Gate Jacket
Olivers’ first-ever jacket, made with that age-old, nigh-indestructible nylon fabric, Cordura.
Arlo Skye Check-In Luggage
You could spend a few thousand bucks on a Rimowa — and that’d be a great investment — or, you could get this Arlo Skye. It’s made of the same aluminum-magnesium alloy that many top-shelf luggage makers have come to be known for.
Oakley Frogskins Lite Prizm
The next evolution of Oakley’s most popular lifestyle sunglasses. They’ve been updated with a semi-rimless design and injected with plenty of Oakley’s own high-performance tech.
Sony RX10 IV
The RX10 IV is, according to our deputy photography editor, Henry Philips, “kinda cool, kinda overkill, and kinda weird.” That’s a nice way to sum up this compact camera with probably the fastest autofocus and smartest subject tracking in its class.
Rolex GMT Master
From the Gear Patrol Store: Purchased from the person who bought it from the original owner, this particular Reference 1675 dates from the late 1970s, in the waning days of the Jet Age. The handsomely ghosted bezel speaks of years of travel and loving use. Looking at it conjures images of La Dolce Vita, seemingly asking, “where are we going next?”
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on an Izola cocktail shaker, a Kammok sleeping bag and Italian olive oil.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• It’s time to unearth that classic fall garment again: the shawl cardigan.
• Here’s an authentic Spanish tortilla recipe that’s great for all occasions, and all seasons.
• Properly cleaning your keyboard calls for more than just a few pass-overs with a wet rag.
• Looking for some fresh ready-made denim? Here are the best jeans to buy now.
• Everything you need to know about the new iPhone X.
Note: If you purchase a product through our links, we may receive a small portion of the sale, which supports Gear Patrol. So…don’t hold back. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
One Thing to Watch
Oh HAI Mark!
Follow Gear Patrol on Instagram:
Lots to Like