It's been almost five years since Apple released the AirPods in the fall of 2016, and since then the market for true wireless earbuds has exploded. Today, seemingly every audio and headphone manufacturer has its own pair of true wireless earbuds. And while the vast majority of true wireless earbuds are still expensive, you can get a good pair from a reputable brand for pretty cheap! Just avoid the explicit knockoffs on Amazon.
These are five excellent wireless earbuds you can buy right now. All are under $100.
Released in 2020, the Urbanears Alby are wireless earbuds that look very similar to Apple's AirPods, but they're half as expensive. They also come in other colors than white.
- Design and fit is very similar to AirPods
- Available in different colors (black, white, purple and teal)
- IPX4 water-resistance rating, which is better than AirPods
- 3-hour battery life per earbud is subpar
- No in-ear optical sensors like AirPods
The Galaxy Buds Plus are Samsung's entry-level wireless earbuds. They're designed to work best with other Galaxy and Android smartphones.
- Charges vis USB-C and supports wireless charging
- Good sound and call clarity
- Comes with earwings to ensure a better fit
- No automatic ear detection for music play/pause
- IPX2 rating means you shouldn't wear them exercising
The Sony WF-XB700 is the company’s most entry-level pair of wireless earbuds. They share a similar sound to Sony WF-SP800N, but lack all the premium features, including active noise-cancellation.
- Solid sound with punchy bass
- They charge via USB-C
- Not compatible with Sony's companion app (which lets you customize sound settings)
- Charging case is bulky
The Pixel Buds A-Series look, fit, feel and sound like Google's $179 Pixel Buds. The reason the they're almost half as expensive is that Google cut out some of their more premium features.
- They look and sound exactly like Google's more expensive Pixel Buds
- Pair super well with Pixel smartphones
- More sweat resistant than AirPods
- No way to adjust volume on the wireless earbuds
- Don't support wireless charging.
- 5-hour battery life isn't great
Released in early 2021, the ComfoBuds Pro are wireless earbuds with good noise-canceling — especially for the price.
- Good sound and decent noise-cancellation
- Charges via USB-C
- Battery life is better than AirPods Pro
- No ability to adjust EQ settings.
- The app can be finicky