Good morning. The ex-Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer, yesterday launched a gorgeous new website, USAFacts, which aims to make important U.S. government data more accessible to everyone. Thanks to some excellent design work by Seattle-based studio Artefact, USAFacts functions much like a search engine, surfacing raw, non-partisan, understandable figures on how the government operates and revealing what it’s spending money on.
• Here’s yesterday’s gear news.
• Want this briefing via email? Subscribe to the Gear Patrol Dispatch.
What’s New, Now
Ace Marks Handcrafted Dress Shoes
The first Ace Marks Kickstarter campaign was the most funded shoe in the crowdfunding site’s history. And the new collection continues Ace Marks’ philosophy: luxury men’s shoes available for one-third of what they should retail for. If you own Ace Marks shoes already, return them to the company for $60 off your new order — and they’ll donate your gently used pair to Career Gear, which suits up guys who need some help getting back into the workforce. Just like the first round, this new collection features Italian calfskin leather shoes designed for stylish professional vibes and built, dyed and burnished by hand. The collection is already tipping a million bucks with time to spare, so get on it ASAP.
Spax Tactical Multitool
The worst thing about owning a pickaxe, hatchet and machete is that all together they take up so much room. Second worst thing is none of them can open a fire hydrant valve. Best thing about this powder-coated steel beast is that it’s all three of the former tools and includes a cut out to make the latter happen in a pinch. Never leave home without it.
Master & Dynamic MA770 Wireless Speaker
The Master & Dynamic MA770 Wireless Speaker launches today, and it’s a fantastic concrete monolith of premium sound.
Victorinox x National Parks Swiss Army Knives
To celebrate National Park Week, everyone’s favorite go-to knife brand is rolling out a version of their Camper and Classic knives, emblazoned with park graphics, in limited numbers. Sales will support a $25,000 gift to the National Park Foundation, to be given by Victorinox Swiss Army this year.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan Concept
The A-Class Sedan Concept, unveiled today at the Shanghai Auto Show, is the clearest look at the next generation of Mercedes-Benz cars.
Hobo x WildThings Backpack
Using a military-spec colorway, this collab backpack is part of a collection that also includes boots by Danner. The backpack is based on the Guide Pack by WildThings and features strong and lightweight ripstop nylon.
Deals of Note
Great Products, Great Prices
How to save on a SanDisc micro SD card, Design Within Reach outdoor furniture and GoPure water purification.
What’s New from GP
Read Up on Our Latest
• This summer, dress like a bonified Californian.
• Getting a custom-made Ducati café racer is cheaper than you think.
• Switch up your morning coffee routine with an espresso tonic.
• Master &n Dynamic just released their first-ever Bluetooth speaker. And it’s made of concrete.
• We caught up with Tom Turcich, who is currently walking around the world while pushing a high-performance baby carriage.
• Everything you need to know about the Samsung Galaxy 8 and 8+.
Note: Stories published on Gear Patrol may contain links to buy products sold in our curated store as well as by third party retail destinations. Items purchased through the GP store help directly support editorial initiatives. In some cases, we may also receive a small commission for the online customers we refer to external retailers. Learn more about our editorial policies related to commerce and affiliate sales here.
Next Page: Happy Hour Talking Points and One Thing to Watch
Happy Hour Briefing
Ice Breakers for the First Drink
• Paul Tollett is the wizard behind the curtain of Coachella. [The New Yorker]
• Carhartt used to be for rednecks. Now it’s for urban cool kids. [Racked]
• One woman is in constant, excruciating pain. Another man feels never feels any pain at all. But they share one gene in common, and it might change the world. [Wired]
• Archaeologists unearthed a major discovery in Egypt’s Luxor. [Al Jazeera]
• Here’s how the U.S. government is spending your taxes. [Esquire]
• And one thing to watch: