If you buy an iPhone 12 or iPhone 13 — or the new iPhone 14 — you won't have all the necessary components to charge it straight out of the box. That's because Apple made the decision a few years ago that, as part of its environmental initiative, all new iPhones will not ship with a companion wall adapter. So if you buy any of the latest iPhones, all you'll get in the box is a USB-C to Lightning cable.
The good news is that the new iPhones can charge faster — up to 5o% after a 30-minute charge — but you'll need at least a 20-watt wall adapter to take advantage of it. We've rounded up the best cheap USB-C wall adapters to pair with your new iPhone. Before getting into the picks, there are few terms (or rather technologies) to know because you'll inevitably see some wall adapters supporting them.
Anker Nano Pro Read More
Satechi 20W USB-C PD Wall Charger Read More
Apple 20W USB-C Power Adapter Read More
Twelve South PlugBug Slim Read More
Nomad 20W Power Adapter Read More
What Terms to Know
• Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0: This is a fast-charge technology that is able to help a wall adapter charge a device up to 4x times faster than the conventional 5W charger. But iPhones don't support this technology, so it's a non-issue for iPhone owners.
• Power Delivery (PD): This is a charging technology that allows a charger to output higher currents and higher voltages. It can be integrated into many devices whose power outputs can range from 18 watts to 100 watts. It's also the only charging standard that can charge a laptop. Power Delivery is only supported by iPhone 8 and later.
• Gallium Nitride (GaN): Gallium Nitride is a new material that is significantly more energy-efficient and space-efficient than silicon, which is the traditional material used in wall adapters. GaN allows the wall adapters to be smaller and lighter but still really powerful.
More MagSafe Guides
• The Best MagSafe Car Mounts for Your iPhone
• The Best MagSafe Battery Packs to Boost Your iPhone's Battery
• The Best MagSafe Chargers for Your New iPhone
• All the Best MagSafe Accessories for Your iPhone